Introduction to the Internet
Is this course right for me?
This introductory course provides a guide through the basics of Internet use, while also providing up-to-date information on the latest online tools and technologies.
Note: Course content can be accessed directly on the publisher's website by visiting www.gcflearnfree.org.
- Provide students with a brief overview of the Internet and discuss fundamental concepts such as networks, servers, and clients.
- Discuss the manner in which the Internet is used today: blogs, social networking, instant messaging, VoIP, and media.
- Introduce Internet terminology and concepts such as: bandwidth, different types of Internet service, wireless Internet (Wi-Fi), home networking, and mobile phone Internet access.
- Discuss navigating the Web with a browser, downloading files, bookmarking your favorite websites, tabbed browsing, plug-ins, and more.
- Learn the basics of using a search engine, as well as some techniques you can use to get better search results.